A consultation is the appointment record and invoice for the patient. Depending on the appointment type, you can use procedure templates to ensure the correct products and services are applied to the consultation record.
- See To add a billing message to a statement, invoice, or estimate to learn how to update your invoice or estimate.
- See Create or update an estimate to learn how to create an estimate.
- See FAQs: Consultations and procedures for answers to common questions.
- If your practice is integrated with Smart Flow, see Send patient to Smart Flow to learn how to add a patient to the whiteboard.
Permission required: Edit Consultations
- Click Schedule.
- Locate the patient appointment and single click on it below the appointment status.
- Click Create Consultation.
Tip: If you need to create an estimate for this visit, click Create Estimate.
- From the Provider drop-down list, select the staff member seeing the patient.
- Enter the patient weight in the Weight box. Then review or update the weight units, as needed. See Enter patient weight for more information.
- In the Procedure Templates area, select a template in the list. See Add a procedure template for more information.
- In the template window, preview the template and click Add Lines to Consultation. Note that any products, services, or diagnostics that are linked to the template will populate the consultation.
- Complete the information in the note. You can use the formatting tools to update the note.
Tip: Press CTRL (or CMD) + right-click on a misspelled word (underlined in red) to display a list of spelling recommendations.
- In the Master Problem List box, search for and select the problem. You can also add a new problem. These terms are supplied by the American Animal Hospital Association.
- In the Product/Service area, search for and select the product or service.
- If you are ordering laboratory or in-house analyzer diagnostics, see Order diagnostic products.
- If you are ordering digital imaging products, see Order digital products.
- If you are ordering a rabies product, see the Enter and view vaccine information section of Manage vaccine, rabies tags, and certificates.
- If you are prescribing or refilling a medication and printing labels, see Create or refill a prescription.
- Update the consultation product line details, as needed.
- Label - Enter information to be printed on labels or forms. For example, prescription instructions, location of administered vaccine.
- Quantity - Quantity sold.
- Provider - Veterinarian or staff who should be credited for the sale.
- Price - Sell price without tax.
Note: You will also see the sell price with tax plus any applied discount, as applicable, if your practice has the Display Price Inc Tax turned on in Company Settings.
- Date - Date the product was sold, performed, administered, prescribed, etc.
- If you ordered diagnostics, you can change the lab ID.
- To save the consultation as a draft, click Save. Do not mark the consultation as complete unless the visit is final.
- To finalize the consultation, select the Is this invoice ready to be paid? or This consultation is complete check box and close the invoice.
Note: Patient reminders are created, updated, or deleted and callback tasks are created when the invoice is closed (marked ready to be paid). See the end of this article for additional information.
- To lock consultation notes from additional updates, click the Lock Notes button. Do not lock a consultation until the notes are complete.
Note: You cannot lock consultation notes until you have saved the consultation. Only users who can edit consultations can lock notes.
- If you want to print multiple dispensing labels, click Print Labels.
IMPORTANT: When the invoice is closed (marked ready to be paid):
- Patient reminders are created, updated, or deleted.
- Callback tasks are created and assigned to the line item provider.
If you reopen an invoice, the following actions will update reminders and callback tasks created by special action when the invoice is closed again as follows:
- Update a line item date: any patient reminders’ and callback tasks’ due dates will be updated.
- Update a line item provider: any callback tasks will remain assigned to the line item provider the first time the invoice was closed.
Note: If you delete a product, any reminders and callback tasks will still be in effect. You should manually update reminders on the Reminders tab in the patient record and callback tasks on the Callbacks tab, as needed.